5 of the Cheapest & Best Ways to E-File your Taxes

E-filing? Try These 5 Free Options

I have updated this post for 2019 (2018 tax year). I’ve always used and recommended paid Turbotax & H&R Block online and (previously) CD software products to do my own taxes. Both have have free and cheap options available for those who have relatively simple returns, or through the Free File Alliance if you fall with specified age and adjusted gross income ranges.

While Turbotax and H&R Block might be the best options for most e-filers, there are other reputable alternatives as well. After researching the marketplace, here are the five options that topped my list if your goal is to have the cheapest e-file tax return.

Lets start with my two favorites: H&R Block and Turbotax.

e-file taxesH&R Block: offers a basic free federal and state version that has no income or age restrictions, covering 1040 only. If you start with this free version, you can easily transfer and upgrade to a different version at a later time if you have additional forms in your return, but your return must be started on their website. I have used H&R Block the last few years and really like their program. H&R Block offers free audit support. H&R Block is offering 25% off their paid versions for a limited time (Deluxe, Premium, & Self-Employed) at that link.

Turbotax: offers a free basic federal and state e-file version, covering 1040 only. If you choose to upgrade to another version, your data is transferred if you start your return on their website. Turbotax’s paid online versions can be found here (up to $20 off at link).

TaxAct: TaxAct “Free” offers a free-file for federal and state returns, covering 1040 only. You can upgrade, if you start your return at Taxact.com. If you have more than a basic return, can get 20% off TaxAct here.

Taxslayer: “Simply Free” version offers free basic federal and state e-file version, 1040 only. You can also get 20% off Taxslayer’s paid versions at that link, with code “Offer20”.

IRS Options:

  • FreeFile: if your income is below $66,000 (in most cases), there are additional “FreeFile” e-file provider options, but none that I would recommend more than the previously mentioned free and paid software above.
  • Fillable Forms: If your income is above $66,000 (as well as below), and you are up for some work and have plenty of time, you can fill out forms online through the IRS fillable forms website and then e-file with them. The BIG problem with this route is that you can’t prepare or submit your state return through the IRS. This is a big pain because you have to go elsewhere to do your state return. Also, fillable forms are not nearly as simple to fill out as tax software. You literally are filling out IRS tax forms. I would not recommend it – but it is an option available to you for free e-filing.

Note: there are no IRS approved vendors that offer free-file through the Free File Alliance to those with adjusted gross income over $66,000 (and many have age restrictions as well). If your income is higher and/or you invest, are a homeowner, or itemize deductions, I’d recommend going with the most appropriate paid Turbotax or H&R Block editions mentioned earlier.

E-Filing Discussion:

  • What’s the cheapest way that you’ve been able to file your taxes, while getting the best return?
  • Have you done your taxes yet?
  • How are you filing your taxes this year?


  1. James
    • Jasmine
      • Denise marie May
  2. allen
  3. allen
  4. Shaun Connell
  5. Mohammed
  6. Anton Ivanov | Dreams Cash True
  7. Shobir
  8. Imran
  9. zee
  10. New to this
  11. New to this
  12. Shannon
  13. Shannon
  14. Jessica Scott
    • Rebecca Temari
  15. Armand
  16. Cindy
  17. Wrigley's mom
  18. Diane

Leave a Reply